Friday, March 18, 2005

Reflections from Womens' Studies Conference

I

We need canons; you can have your canon, and I'll have mine, but don't try to change my value-judgement: Truth is a subjective understanding of the world. When you are trying to change my value-judgement, it is not that my canon is un-True; rather it is simply incorrect, as it does not conform to your canon.

II

Sexual freedom is not that you can go out there and have as much sex as you want; it is the ability to talk about sexuality without shame, without feeling dirty, without feeling guilty of something. Sexual freedom is when sexuality is de-mystified.

III

The conception of the "Good Girl" in the 21st century still leans to Victorian ideal: passive, selfless, accepting, unquestioning. I do suppose even the traditional girl (who I really like) is very much like that. But is it time for this conception to change? Can girls be more active, more selfish, unaccepting and questioning? (Or I should ask, can I handle a girl like that, given my own traditional consciousness?)

IV

Let us hear the other voices emerging from the dark, and we shall find that voices in the dark is not anymore different than those in the light. Just close your eyes, and you will not be able to tell the difference.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's a canon?

2:05 p.m.  
Blogger Minch said...

How did ur conference go? Hmmm... never really thought about sexual freedom and it's meaning. But thanks for now clarifying what it is :) Hmmm... traditional girl eh? Who might THAT be? All grown UP now... leaving me BEHIND >.< What's the difference between unTrue and incorrect? And wat's the last one supposed to mean...? I think i'm interpreting it wrong... cuz i can't quite seem to correlate it to womens' studies. Well, sorta... but it'll be a stretch.

9:27 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home